Hall of Fame
The South Melbourne Districts FC Hall Of Fame was established in 2010 and the selection committee consists of John Bradley, Ken Bennett, Ray Deagan, Gerard Harrington and Barry Morton. Combined, their involvement at our club spans more than half of our existence. The first inductees were introduced to the South Melbourne faithfull in front of over 600 people at the Centenary Celerbrations in 2012 at The Powerhouse Function Centre.
The criteria has been set for selection and note that the selectors will consider the criteria in order to be satisfied that the person qualifies for induction. Nominees do not have to satisfy all aspects and will have satisified at least one of them.
THE CRITERIA – Exceptional and recognised Football talent. – Significant contribution to the club as an administrator and/or volunteer over an extended period of time of no less than 25 years. – Significant contribution to the club as a player and/or coach. For this criteria, the nomineee must have last played and/or coached 5 years prior to being considered (i.e.: retired 5 or more years ago).
Regards Hall of Fame Selectors.
The following are the inaugural nominations (in chronological order):
Roy Cazaly: He began his career with ‘The Pembrokes’, and was captain and coach in 1917. Later Roy became an icon of Australian football.
Charlie McBurnie: A founding father of the club, he was secretary of the Pembrokes from 1897 before becoming the first secretary of the club in 1912, and retained an active involvement until 1933.
Robert Williams: Bob Williams was associated with the club for 38 years, the last 15 as President. He was also responsible for the club gaining its first permanent home in Albert Park in 1935.
Keith Forbes: A goal scoring rover, Keith played at Districts between 1925 and 1927. Rejected by South Melbourne, he played at Essendon for ten years (where he was named a Champion of Essendon), and was later captain coach of North Melbourne.
Rod ‘Doc’ Leffanue: ‘Doc’ played at Districts between 1929 and 1931, and in 1934, winning the Lovig Cup in 1930. He had stints at South Melbourne and Carlton, and later helped coach junior players until 1954. ‘Doc’ came out of retirement at the age of 50 to help Districts when they were short of players in 1963.
Perc Horner: Perce was a successful full forward who played with Districts from 1931 until 1941. A much travelled footballer, he eventually played in 15 premierships.
Tom Allen: Part of a well known sporting family, Tommy Allen played for the Districts between 1933 and 1946, and included stints at both South Melbourne and Port Melbourne, where he played in two premiership teams.
Ian Lee: Also a state cricketer, Ian Lee played at Districts in 1933-34, was coach in 1936, and played until 1939. He was the winner of the Clota Medal in 1933.
Jack Baillie: Jack, the ‘doyen of secretaries’, and known as Mr Districts, was secretary from 1934 until 1961.
Jack ‘Basher’ Williams: Jack was a very good player and was later an enthusiastic supporter of the club and its players. Jack ‘Basher’ Williams was a former light heavy weight boxer from Maryborough who joined his brother, Teddy, at Districts. He played at Districts from 1938 until 1941, when the club went into recess and again in 1946. He only played three games for South in three years because he preferred to play for South Districts. Playing centre half back in the 1945 grand final side he was suspended for eight weeks for adopting a fighting attitude and another four weeks for abusing the goal umpire. ‘Basher’ eventually played 61 games and kicked three goals for South between 1939 and 1946. In 1946 he had represented Victoria.
GV ‘Bluey’ Beard: ‘Bluey’, a member of the Swans 1933 premiership team, coached the Districts in 1939 and 1940, and was probably deprived of a third premiership because of wartime enlistments. He is regarded as one of Districts’ greatest ever leaders.
Dr Roy Park: Roy Park played a few games for Districts before the war, and was President from 1946 until 1969.
Jack Hammon: Jack commenced with the club in 1940, a premiership year, and was one of the first players to have played 100 games. He was the winner of the best and fairest award in 1947.
Jim King: Jim was a long serving committee member, being the social secretary from 1950, the third secretary of the club (1961-69) and club president (1970-1988).
Eddie Lane: He came to the club in 1949 winning the best first year player award. Eddie a sharpshooting rover, played with South Melbourne between 1951 and 1956. He returned to the Districts in 1964 as assistant coach winning the club & competition best & fairest. Eddie also coached the districts in 1965. Eddie’s two sons, Robert and Marty also played with the club.
Sid McKillop: Sid played over 200 games, winning the best and fairest award in the premiership year of 1962. Sid was a magnificent kick, who was also very skilled in the air, being a very spectacular mark. Sid also has the unique achievement of being a life member of the club, as well as two of his sons, Michael & Darren.
Daryl Jones: Daryl played more than 100 games for the club, was captain and coach in 1960 and 1961, a premiership player (1962), three times the winner of the club best and fairest award (1957, 1959, 1963), and twice the winner of the Clota Medal (1960-61).
Len Crane: A former South Melbourne and Hawthorn defender, he was Captain-Coach in 62-64 & coach in 1966, including the winning of the 1962 Premiership.
Barry Kidd: Barry played over 300 games in many positions for the club. Because of his versatility, he was often asked to fill in where the club was short of players for these positions, Barry succeeded doing this with great determination & enthusiasm. Barry also played in the 1976 premiership side, and was also a tireless long serving secretary of the club. Barry’s dedication to the club when they were struggling was simply amazing.
Barry ‘Bomber’ Mitchell: Bomber was a much travelled footballer who coached the club during the lean years of 1969 & 1970. He later returned to the club to be an integral part of the 1976 premiership side.
John Carlile: ‘Pappy’ came to the club from Port Melbourne as senior coach in 1971. He coached the club until 1974, & went on to play over 100 games with the club. ‘Pappy” was a fierce competitor who played as a ruckman forward. After retiring, he became the head trainer, and was once known to have rubbed dishwashing liquid instead of liniment onto a player before the game.
Barry Elmer: Barry played over 100 games with the Districts as a tough little rover who had great skills and was a master of the stab kick. Barry became president of the club who served the club most admirably.
David Jess: David played over 100 games with the club as a splendid tap ruckman. David won the best & fairest award in three consecutive years, 1968 to 1970, and was runner-up in the competition best & fairest in 1970.
Rick Davie: Rick played over 100 games as an outstanding ruckman who possessed great marking ability around the ground. Rick won the club best & fairest 4 years running between 1978 to 1981, and played in the 1976 premiership team. Rick did not ever own a bag for his football gear, so it was not uncommon to see Rick making his way through the ovals at Albert Park with a towel rolled up under his arm containing his gear inside.
Clarke Shields: Clarke Shields (1936-2002) attended the Loreto Kindergarten, St Peter and Paul’s School in South Melbourne and St Joseph’s CBC in North Melbourne. In 1967 he established Clarke Shields Transport in Port Melbourne and eventually won the contract to move Toyota cars around Australia. He played football with South Melbourne YCW, Esplanade East and South Districts under the coaching of Paddy Deagan. Over many years his commitment and contribution to Districts was enormous and his financial generosity was legend. He chaired the fundraising committee, helped young people in trouble with the law with guidance and character references, supported the Junior teams, barracked loudly for the Seniors and gave advice, sometimes unwanted, to everyone! In 1987 he underwent a heart transplant and became an ambassador for the Transplant Games, competing in 1991.
Darren McKillop: Darren came through the juniors ranks, and often played with the reserves straight after he had been playing with the under age teams. Darren went on to play over 300 games with the club mostly as a ruckman, which in itself is a remarkable achievement, given the physical demands on a ruckman. Darren also served the club very serviceably as a junior coach for many years.
Reg Jones: Reg and June first saw the Districts play in the early 1950s whilst on their way home from seeing South Melbourne play. From then on, if Reg could not watch South Melbourne, he would go and watch the Districts. He had gone into a milk bar in Albert Park and soon got to know the players and supporters of the club. During the 60s and 70s he saw many games and in the 70s their son, Peter, played junior football for the club and Reg joined as a member. In the 1980s Reg was invited to join the Fund Raising Committee. It was also in the 80s that Barry Kidd asked Reg to take over the running of the bar, a task he still undertakes in 2011. Reg was on the committee during the 80s. During the 1990s the club was informed that it would be repositioned in the park, and Districts were allocated Oval 11 in the redeveloped park. Districts had a lot of work ahead of them, but with dedication from Barry Elmer, Len Bulpit, Ron Duscher, Darren and Mick McKillop and Reg Jones, the current rooms were shaped. Reg has enjoyed the personal recognition of Life Membership in 1994 and the naming of the club social area after him in 2009. In 2011 Reg was awarded a Certificate of Merit award by VAFA for more than 15 years of meritorious service to his club.